2nd Grade Math
Session 1: Numbers
- Understanding the relationship between numbers, quantities, & place values in whole numbers up to 1,000
- Review odd and even numbers, how to determine which is which
Ex) 45= 4 tens+ 5
Ex) 3, even or odd? Why? 1456, even or odd? Why?
Ex) Which number is in the tens? 2, 345?
Ex) 952___955… <,>, or =?
Session 2: Add and Subtract
- Review addition and subtraction and gain foundation for multiplication and division
Ex) Multiplication tables 1-12
Session 3: Fractions and Decimals
- Introduce basic concept to create understanding that fractions and decimals may refer to parts of a set and parts of a whole number.
Ex) Recognize, name, and compare unit fractions from 1/12 to 1/2
Ex) Recognize fractions of a whole and parts of a group: ¼ of a pie, 2/3 of 15
Ex) 4/4=1 whole
Session 4: Adding and Subtracting Fractions
- Introduce solving addition and subtraction of fractions with common denominators.
Ex) 2/3 + 1/3; 4/8 – 2/8; *integrate fraction models with shaded regions
Session 5: Adding and Subtracting Fractions cont.
- Solve fraction questions involving addition and subtraction using combination of coins and bills and aligning decimals
Ex) $1.25 + .50; $2.35 + $3.70; 5.2 + 6.72; 8.92 – 3.45
Session 6: Time
- Understand time and be able to tell time to the nearest hour on a clock.
- Make time predictions.
Ex) Reading time on the clock
Ex) Determine duration of intervals of time
Session 7: Patterns
- Students demonstrate an understanding of patterns and how patterns grow and describe in general ways.
Ex) complete the sequence __, 10, __, 20, 25
Session 8: Review
- Complete and challenging review of course material covered in the past eight weeks