3rd Grade Math
Session 1: Large Numbers
- Understanding placement values of whole numbers up to thousands;
- Rounding numbers to the nearest tens, hundreds, or thousands and writing them in expanded notation.
Ex) Which number is in the hundreds place of 4,384? Write 345 in expanded notation: 300+40+5
Session 2: Addition of Decimals
- Review addition and subtraction with focus on addition and subtraction of up to two decimal places.
Ex) 345 + 231
Ex) $10.99 + $4.32
Ex) $56.20 + $23.12
Session 3: Multiplication and Division
- Understanding multiplication principles and relationship between multiplication and division.
Ex) Multiplication and division from 0-100
Ex) 8 x __ =48 or __ ÷ 3=15
Session 4: Fractions and Decimals
- Understanding concepts of whole numbers, simple fractions, and decimals.
- Understanding fractions on a number line
Ex) 0.5 is 5/10 or ½
Ex) 3 is 3/1
Session 5: Units, Metric and Imperial
- Understanding the appropriate use of metric units including inches, feet, centimeters, miles, liters, gallons, etc.
Ex) 12 inches = 1 foot
Ex) Would you measure a book in inches or feet?
Session 6: Time
- Understanding estimation of intervals of time.
Ex) It is 3:15 PM, how many more minutes until 4:30 PM
Session 7: Area and Perimeter
- Understanding concepts of area and relate area to multiplication and to addition.
Ex) Areas and perimeters of squares, rectangles, and triangles
Session 8: Representing Data/Review
- Understand how to represent data using graphs.
Ex) Draw a bar graph in which each square in the bar graph might represent 5 pets.
- Complete and challenging review of course material covered in the past eight weeks.